Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 46. Trip miles: 6795. Fairbanks, AK














































We made it to the end of Trip Leg Number Two!







We’re at a state campground in the heart of town, a bit too close to the heart perhaps. The campground happens to be on the final approach to Fairbanks International and is beside a main arterial to boot. The location is very convenient though and has good wifi, so we’re good here for a 3-day breather, cleanup and resupply.




I spent most of one summer here in the mid 70s when I worked for Alaska Airlines. They owned a lot of rental properties here at the time and the local manager left suddenly so I came up to fill the gap until a new manager was hired. It wasn’t just me: my wife Mary and our two sons, Tod and Adam, were here also. We lived in a new double wide mobile home for a couple months and had an enjoyable time.







The place has grown and changed a lot in the interim of course, hardly recognize anything. I’m hoping that the Malamute Saloon is open and still doing the nightly readings of Robert Service poetry like The Cremation of Sam McGee. It was closed for awhile for renovation, may still be, will find out today.



Pix were taken in Delta Junction, AK, which is the official end of TAH, and North Pole, AK.

1 comment:

  1. Are those mosquito-eater sculptures in the top photo? I can imagine they are revered there. Or are they just Alaska sized mosquitoes?

    It's really hard to see the North Pole without any snow. I hope no young children see these photos. So demoralizing.

    ReplyDelete