Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 35. Evening. Edmonton.

The weather turned cruddy so we didn’t golf and didn’t get the pickup serviced either. We did tour downtown Edmonton, saw the Art Gallery of Alberta and the conservatory that has 4 transparent pyramid domes like the Louvre, each containing a different mini-environment.


When it comes to skeeters, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is there’s a lot fewer of them here than at the last several stops. The bad news, at least for Trish, is that they like her better than me – a lot better. The good news for me is, if I can trick Trish into being outside the trailer whenever I’m outside, all the skeeters flock to her and ignore me. She’s better than one of those citrus candles any day.


We’ll be spending tomorrow night in Grande Prairie cuz Ranger has a grooming appointment there. Can't have a shaggy dog on the Alaska Highway, what would the moose think? Maybe we’ll finally find a place to get the pickup serviced, too.


It’s 4:40 PM and I was sitting outside until a few minutes ago, got chased inside by a rain shower. I was smoking a cigar and researching the sights along the first few hundred miles of the Alaska Highway.


We’re been staying at Glowing Embers RV Park, a huge private campground with full hookups and good wifi but otherwise unremarkable. Glowing Embers, my ass: they don’t allow campfires and don’t even have the metal standards for charcoal barbecuing. We carry our own little Weber propane barbie so it’s not a big deal. I’m just whining. It’s one on my pet peeves I suppose. Being the old fashioned curmudgeon that I am, I think names should have some relevance to reality.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your sentiments about "Glowing Embers" nomenclature. What about "Glowing Northern Lights"? You could ask for your $$ back for false advertising. Very funny about Trish being your citronella. Sorry, Patti, I had to laugh.

    We went through Alberta and Saskatchewan on the train. Most people slept for that stretch--interminable (well, we did get stuck for 9 hours in Alberta in the middle of nowhere--engine blew up). We slept in Jasper and Prince George and Prince Rupert. We stayed for 3 days in Prince Rupert which was more than enough, but the train schedules dictated.
    We noticed from the train people driving the BEAUTIFUL Al Can Highway and thought to ourselves that we should do it someday. Such beautiful mountains and water and green mossy things. All great photo ops. And bald eagles, which I thought were majestic until someone in Prince Rupert disabused me of that by explaining their personal habits!

    It's July 4 here--there, too, as a matter of fact. But here the neighborhood fireworks are still going at midnight. Every once in a while there is still a sizzle and a pop, or one of those shrieking things that makes more noise on the way up than it does when it reaches destination. Ranger can be glad all he has to face is a grooming, and that he's missing the racket this 4th.

    Happy trails to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fireworks here and no July 4th potluck either - for the first time in many years. Yeah, the great plains of North America are awesome in agricultural productivity - and in their boring geography. We're looking forward to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M,T,R:
    Check this out: http://www.decorphoto.com/ak-slang.htm

    Also, I checked out WebMD, and you can use all the DEET you want to keep those skeeters at bay.

    We're still checking into your blog first thing every morning. Keep up the entertaining posts.

    ReplyDelete