Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 30. Trip miles: 3667. Jamestown, ND





Here we are in the hometown of The World’s Largest Buffalo. Eat your heart out.



We saw the renowned buff as we drove by on the freeway, en route to our 1-nighter campground. We plan to do a drive by/photo op tomorrow on our way through town, only fitting since we didn’t stop to see The World’s Largest Turkey in Frazee, MN. That turkey was a surprise, only a few miles from my hometown and I wasn't even aware of it. You and I have both met many turkeys who could have been finalists for the title but now we know that they didn't make the cut.

Trish wanted to see my alma mater and it is conveniently located just a mile off the freeway so we stopped by Minnesota State University/Moorhead and took a few pix. Ballard Hall, the dormitory where I lived for 3 years, is still standing, as is Snarr Hall, where I lived when I was a senior, 1965/66. The library has been expanded to triple its original size, supporting a student body that has also tripled. Several other buildings, already old when I attended, have been razed and replaced by new structures.

They have a new metal sculpture of a dragon, the school mascot; I’m wondering how often it gets decorated with TP and assorted items of underwear.
Tomorrow we’ll cross into Canada at the little town of North Portal, and from there we head on to Regina and Edmonton on the way to start of the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment