Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 21. June 20th. Detroit Lakes, MN




Had a great time with Wayne & Gloria last night. Wayne did a bang up job on the barbie, a mixed grill of bangers, steak and pork ribs. See pix of the house they had moved. The house has beautiful old wordwork, including wood floors with intricate designs.

We pick up our first batch of forwarded snail mail tomorrow, 3 weeks worth. And, there's a bunch of boring stuff to take care of: laundy, fill propane tank, Trish's hair, etc. In the mid/late afternoon Trish will drop me off at the fraternity reunion site, a lakeshore home owned by one of the brothers. I'll be there two nights and Trish will pick me up Wednesday AM.

We're staying at Forest Hills Golf Club and Campground about 3 miles west of DL, a quite attractive place with full hookups, wifi and 18 holes of golf. A number of the brothers, including me, will play 9 holes here on Tuesday.

On Thursday we head down to the Twin Cities for the family reunion, stopping in Perham to take a peak at the farm where I spent my first 18 years. The farm was sold long since and the buyer split it up into 5 acre mini-estates. When I last visited, about 10 years ago, it appeared that only one or two of the lots had been sold, which was no great surprise.

Perham has a population of 2500 and is surrounded by farms. Why anyone would want to buy a 5 acre lot that's several miles out of town and is not on a lake or river is beyond me. But, they say there's one (sucker) born every minute so the lots will probably sell. Someday. I suspect the buyer/developer went teats up years ago but I'm not curious enough to spend the time it would take to verify that.

No comments:

Post a Comment