Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 16. Evening. Sturgis, SD







What is Devil's Tower? I was thinking maybe a mesa or butte. Uh uh. It's an igneous intrusion. This is new to me. I've been the victim of several intrusions over the years and some of them were quite embarassing, but as near as I can recall, none acheived igneousity. But there you have it.






The Tower looks better in rock than in mashed potatoes. Actually there was no mention of Close Encounters in the brochure or anywhere else in the visitor center, which was mildly disappointing. Regardless, I bet the visitor count increased dramatically after the movie.






Anyway, it's a fine piece of sculpture and I compliment mother nature and the Belle Fourche River on their accomplishments.






We're staying at the Rush-No-More (gag me) RV Park outside of Sturgis, SD and it's a great campground with lots of grass and pine trees and good wifi. Tomorrow, we're off to the Badlands where we'll meet up with old friends from Spokane, Dave and Verna.

No comments:

Post a Comment