Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 22. Morning. Detroit Lakes, MN

We had a brief shower this morning, thunderstorms forecast for next couple days, muggy and mostly cloudy at 7:30 AM.

The land of sky blue waters: that's what Minnesota means in the language of the Dakota tribe. More recently, the phrase was made well known by the Hamm's beer TV commercials that featured a cartoon bear doing silly stuff. We watch very little TV so don't know if those commercials are still running or not.

There are lots of Scandinavian folks here and they're famous for their traditional dishes of lutefisk and lefsa. Not being of the Scandinavian persuasion myself, I know little of these alleged foods but I have seen lutefisk and vaguely remember tasting it once. There's no danger of it replacing chocolate any time soon.

Here's your lutefisk recipe. Buy several pounds of dried codfish, a 10 gallon tub and a 5 pound bag of lye. Pour the lye and 7 gallons of water into the tub and mix well. Add codfish. Allow codfish to soak in the tub for 2-3 months. Remove the lutefisk and pat dry with paper towels. Bury the lutefisk in a remote corner of your yard where you don't want anything to grow for several years. Eat the tub.

As yet, I've not seen lutefisk on the McDonalds menu but it's only a matter of time. There's a song called The Lutefisk Lament that has cute lyrics; youtube or google if curious.

1 comment:

  1. I had lutefisk once on Christmas Eve: my sister married a Lundquist and I was the visiting non-Swede. They were wonderful people and gave me gifts generously but the lutefisk was not one of them.
    I love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete