Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 119. Sacramento, CA










Doug, Trish’s brother, is a civil engineer, manages huge construction projects, and is a skilled builder. He built a snazzy gazebo in their back yard, complete with lights, fan, natural gas centerpiece and mister. Doug and Jan own a space at an upscale RV park near LHC and they’re building a casita there. They’ve spent most of their LHC time (the month of February) on that project the last couple years and will wrap it up this winter I think. The pix are of D&Js back yard; pretty neat, huh?
.
Doug took the day off yesterday, and played golf with Trish and me in the morning. He hadn’t played for about 5 years but enjoyed it, said he’d play with us in LHC this winter. D&J are great hosts, even going the extra mile (and the extra dollar) to buy my favorite single malt Scotch. Last night they served up a fantastic dinner of barbecued ribs; their 2 sons, Doug and Eric, joined us for the feast. Trish hooked up her PC to the big screen TV after dinner and presented her slide show of our trip.
.
A couple of posts back I mentioned injuring an arm muscle while playing pickleball. Two days ago I noticed an 8” bruised area on my inner forearm, similar to the look of a badly sprained ankle, purple and green and ugly. I really did a job on that sucker and it’s going to take awhile to heal. With the help of 2 Aleve, it didn’t bother me much when I played golf.
.
This AM we start the home stretch. We intended to drive through Yosemite NP and camp near Mono Lake, CA tonight. However, the shortest and quickest route to LHC from here is down I-5, or alternatively, down 99. We hate driving CA freeways: beat-up roads, lots of traffic and a posted maximum speed of 55 for all towing rigs – what’s to like? But this time we’re going to bite the bullet, eliminate one day’s travel and beeline it for home. We’ve been on the road long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment