Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 116. Bakersfield, CA











“Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again.” John Fogerty; Creedence Clearwater Revival
.
Headed south out of Sacramento on I-5, we heard a radio advisory to take a different route cuz an accident was blocking 3 lanes up ahead. We jigged left, over to hiway 99, spied a grocery store in Lodi, decided to stop and get a couple things - but had already passed the turnoff. I turned right 2 blocks past the store, into a residential area full of cul de sacs and no side street access back to the store. I did a huey and returned to the main drag, planning to hang a left. No way Jose, concrete divider, right turn only, the hell with it, there’s other stores.
.
You may notice a remarkable phenomenon in the day count in this post: the clock got turned back 4 days. I’ve been cavalier about the accuracy of the count but figured I should get it right for this, our last day on the road. So, I did a calendar check and discovered the discrepancy. Do I really care? Uh-uh. Am I going to go back and correct all the day counts in previous posts? What – you think I got nothing better to do? Get real.
.
Trish grew up in Sacramento, which she often calls Sacatomatoes. I didn’t understand this until yesterday. On southbound I-5, there are tomatoes on the right shoulder of the highway, mile after mile. No, they aren’t growing there. They’re ripe tomatoes that fell of the trucks hauling them to market. Or, maybe a couple harvest workers riding in the backs of two separate trucks had a running tomato fight, which is not as farfetched as you might think. I vividly remember a lengthy tomato fight with my brother Gerry one crisp autumn day back in MN. It was great fun – more so because the tomatoes were rotten, killed off by the first frost. There are darn few things in life more satisfying than nailing your big brother with a large rotten tomato. Yes!
.
Orange Grove RV Park is the scene of our last night’s campout. It’s a large campground with many amenities and hundreds of mature orange trees heavily laden with fruit. Several weeks out, the happy campers here will be gorging themselves on nice ripe oranges. See pix.

No comments:

Post a Comment