Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Dream Come True - Guest Blogger, Trish

I’ve been visiting the Four Corners area regularly since 1992. I fell in love with red rock country the first time I looked up a tall rock face; the rich terra cotta and Navajo reds, striped with desert varnish; the enormous rock forms, some statuesque, some rounded and twisted. I’ve studied federal park brochures, websites and coffee table books adding places to my travel list. The slot canyons of Lake Powell have been high on my list for many years. While I question whether there ought to be a Lake Powell, (almost certainly there should not be) I’ve gazed at photographs of kayaks gliding deep into slot canyons, the red vertical walls towering high above the surface of the water, the width of the canyon narrowing with each stroke, and dreamed of the day I’d have the experience first-hand.

As Mike planned our Lake Powell houseboat trip, I shared my hope of exploring a slot canyon. He studied charts, figured distances and noted likely times and places for me to have the opportunity. The helpful young man who checked the houseboat out to us suggested two especially good camping bays. Mike noticed the one named Secret Canyon had a narrow finger continuing off one side, so we set it as our tentative camping site for the second night. We found that narrow finger, and it did not disappoint.

We’ve come off the main channel, through a wide open bay at the buoy advised by the rental agent. This must be it. We should find a small bay with a great slot canyon for kayaking

The pilot at the helm watches the GPS closely.

Wow, this is getting better than I imagined.  We’re still in the houseboat, and already the walls of the canyon are growing taller and getting closer.  Once we anchor, it will be a great paddle.

Gorgeous!  Stunning!

Wow, this isn’t a coffee table book.  I’m here, on the upper deck of a houseboat, no less.

Those walls are getting pretty close.  Does everyone remember we’re not in the kayaks yet?  We’re in a 53’ houseboat.  Just a little farther and we’ll be at the bay.

Consensus of the crew:  This isn’t a passage that leads to a bay, off of which is a slot canyon for kayaking.  This is the slot canyon!  Good thing we have those kayak paddles.  We’ll be using them to guide the aft end of the boat as we back out of the tight spot.

Back in open water.  While some members of the crew were nervous, I know too little about boating to worry.  From my perspective, the adventure was GREAT – lived up to my dreams!

1 comment:

  1. This is a real life 'He Said, She Said". Mike didn't sound nearly as enthused about those red rock walls being all around you! Backing out must have been a nightmare!
    You write so beautifully and descriptively. I know what you mean about the (visual) impact of the rocks because that is what I experienced on the train--we could have touched the walls if the windows were open, and craning our necks they were as high overhead as we could see. We were actually underneath some of the ledges.

    What I wonder is: did you actually get to go by yourself in the kayak down a finger?

    Note to engineers: They should make these houseboats like the MAX train, with an engine booth on each end. Why not? The Max train never has to back up... And think of Dr. Doolittle's Pushme-Pullyou. Get your brother on this, Patti.

    ReplyDelete