Sunday, January 29, 2012

Phase III-3 Farm

My blog profile reads 'MN farm boy' amongst other things.  It was a time-typical farm in north central MN, several miles away from a time-typical town of about 2,000 souls.  I spent my first 18 years there but would not have been the least disappointed had it been 17.  Or 16.  Or none at all.

Nevertheless, the doggone thing got into my blood, deeply rooted after all the years, all the work, all the growing-up memories.  It was inevitable that the farm came to mind when contemplating subjects for my new painting hobby.  I didn't have that subject in mind when I started the painting, however, was just winging it.  It started with the sky background; that looked okay so decided to add a grain field at the bottom and that looked okay, too.  It was at that point that I decided to do the farm buildings.

The panacea of would-be artists is the phrase 'artistic license'.  Flaws?  Screw-ups?  Paint-overs?  Uh-uh: artistic license.  When asked about a particular detail in a painting, that detail being somehow out of place or not quite right, the painter calmly responds 'artistic license', sighs deeply and gazes off into the distance with a slightly disdainful look.  I need to practice that, expect I'll use it a lot.

Wing-its are great. Picky little details are not. The house was a picky little detail. Wouldn't have been so bad if I'd made it larger, another lesson learned. Not foreseeing the problem, I made the house a mere 2" high on the 11" x 14" canvas.  Trying to paint in the many details (windows, doors, roof lines, etc) on a 2" square surface was a pain in the arse.  I couldn't fall back on the artistic license excuse because I wanted the relatives to recognize it.  Jury's still out on that.


The Farm, circa 1950

The farm has long since been busted up into 5-acre 'mini estates' and christened Lakeview Estates or some such grandiose handle.  In your dreams: a smidgen of Marion Lake is visible from the few 'estates' on higher ground but that's it.  The house is still there; the barn collapsed years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment