Sunday, January 1, 2012

Benched

Five weeks ago I pulled a muscle in my left forearm, not sure how, working in the yard I guess, didn't seem like a big deal at the time.  Golfing a few days later and executing one of my notorious whack-that-little-dimpled-sucker-into-the-next-state drives, I further aggravated the arm: very sore, internal bleeding, lovely purple skin fading over time to ugly yellow-green. 

I skipped my Wednesday golf league for a couple weeks to give the arm some healing time, wrapped it in an Ace bandage and played in the couples Sunday scramble 2 weeks ago.  Dumb ass!  Did the same thing all over again, only worse: sorer, purpler, yellower, greener, uglier - with the extra added attraction of a doorknob-sized knot near the elbow.

Went to see the sawbones, diagnosis: rippeduptendonistic soreashellarmitis.  Those weren't the exact words but it was 2 l-o-n-g words, both containing 20+ letters, with a few extra Zs and Xs thrown in for good measure.  Treatment: ice for a week, then heat, 6-8 weeks estimated heal time.  It's been 2 weeks since the most recent injury, discoloration finally fading out, knot not responding to treatment (Trish thinks it's a hematoma, could take months to go away), still plenty sore.

So, I'm benched indefinitely, limited activity, on waivers, seeking one-armed bandit work.  I'm the world's worst patient.  Impatient!  Hate it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no. Apparently you can still type. Perhaps you will be writing more limericks? Be good and let it heal. No more golf now until you are cleared for action. But I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As FMD would say, "life's a bitch, then you die". Growing old is not for sissies. Every day is a challenge. As for golf, that's one sport I just couldn't warm up to. Now I have another reason to never try it again.

    ReplyDelete