Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Going Our Separate Ways

Yes, it's true: Trish and I are going our separate ways. She: 1200 miles north. Me: 30 miles south. She: Portland, OR. Me: Buckskin Mt State Park, AZ.
.
Trish is driving to Portland to visit her daughters and various friends, will be gone 10 days. Rather than staying home and running the grave risk of contracting that dreaded disease, cabin fever, whilst she’s gone, I’m taking the EDGE downriver for a few days. Buckskin is on the Colorado River in the Parker Strip, a 16 mile stretch on the AZ side of the Colorado that lies between 2 dams: Parker and Headgate Rock.
.
I’ve been meaning to investigate the Strip for some time. It’s full of parks, campgrounds, resorts and homes, has a population of nearly 4000. La Paz County Park, where we camped for a couple nights last fall, is also on the strip. La Paz didn’t have fire rings, nor does Buckskin. Most AZ campgrounds don’t - which gripes me a bit cuz I do love my campfires. Some RVers carry washing machine drums and use them for small, contained campfires. The drums appear to work well and park management is okay with them. I doubt I’ll acquire one, though: we don’t camp in AZ that much and finding room for it in the pickup would be a challenge.
.
My brief EDGE adventure will also serve as the final shakedown cruise before our 3-month summer odyssey to northeastern Canada and US. We’ve done several modifications to the trailer since last summer but have already tested them so there’s not much to shake down. But, there’s always something that needs to be inspected, cleaned, lubed, adjusted or tightened. Take a studio apartment, slap wheels on it, pull it around for 20,000 miles - including several hundred nasty unpaved miles - and shit happens. Lots of shit. For you Latino readers, thats mucho excremento.  I'm nothing if not totally PC.  Yeah.  Right.  Bite me.
.
PS: did that title and opening line have you hooked for a second?

1 comment:

  1. Sure did scare me for a tad. I thought, "here we go again, Delaney, you asshole". Trish, I'm not sure why you put up with that reprobate???? Al (not Virginia, she doesn't talk like that!!)

    ReplyDelete