Thursday, May 12, 2011

Eunuch Golf

A few miles down the road from Buckskin lies the Emerald Canyon golf course.  It’s a beauty.  Laid out in valleys surrounded by rocky foothills, it meanders around following the natural terrain.  Trish and I have never played there cuz we’re too cheap and prefer par-3 courses.  But we’re gonna play 9 holes there before we leave for the summer, taking advantage of the seasonal rate: $15 per person, including power cart.
.
While staying at Buckskin I had planned to go to the driving range at EC and whack a bucket of balls, hadn’t been to a driving range for a year or so.  I parked the pickup in the lot, carried my clubs up the hill to the driving range, set them down and headed for the golf ball dispensing machine.  Wouldn’t you know it, damn thing takes tokens - and there’s no token dispensing machine.  So I trudge further up the hill to the pro shop, buy 2 tokens for $6 and return to the ball machine.
.
I feed the first token in.  Clunk, clunk, clunk.  Three balls fall into the bucket.  There should be 30 in the bucket, not 3.  I push all the buttons and slap the machine upside the head a few times.  Nothing.  No balls.  Nada.  Ah, what the hell, might as well try the second token.  I feed it in, the machine swallows it.  Nothing.  No balls.  Nada.  The machine is a freakin’ eunuch!
.
I trudge back up to the pro shop and tell the lady at the counter that she has no balls.  Oh dear.  Everyone’s gone for the day except me and I can’t leave the shop.  She gives my $6 back.  I return to the driving range and whack my 3 balls with my driver.  Typical cold start: top the first one, second one goes straight but is not well hit, slice the third one.  I practiced putting awhile.  Went back to Buckskin and drowned my sorrows in an IPA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment