Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 91. Scappoose, OR








The boys next door.
.
One’s from Nebraska, one from Portland, brothers, in their mid/late 60s. They go salmon fishing on the Columbia every day, all day, for 8 days straight now. Until yesterday, they never got a bite. Night before last, I took mercy on them and gave a blessing to older bro. You know, like the pope does from the Vatican gallery. Sure enough, older bro caught a 26 pounder yesterday.
.
Sheer coincidence? Most likely. Can’t help but wonder though. Should I bestow blessings on other hapless fishermen, frustrated job seekers, and the like? Should I put on my sandals and try walking across the Columbia? The brothers apparently haven’t become true believers, didn’t rush over to thank me or ask for another blessing. We’ll see how they do today.
.
These guys are serious about fish. They have a collapsible fish cleaning table, a food saver type shrink wrap device, and a small portable freezer that sits outside their camper. Younger bro filets the fish, older bro does the shrink wrap, stuffs it in the freezer.
.
In other ho-hum news, Trish and I spent yesterday weeding and pruning at the CC house. You know what? I don’t miss that activity a darn bit. There’s no lawn at my AZ house, just pavers and gravel. Attractive gravel, mind you. Plants are limited to low maintenance cacti, fan palms and a mandarin orange I planted last spring. There are still a few weeds to spray or pull every couple weeks but that’s the extent of it.
.
We’re heading into Portland today, stopping at REI to return the unused mosquito netting headgear. We survived without using them although Trish is running about a quart low. Thing is, you’re quite restricted when wearing the net-hats. Drinking is cumbersome and messy. Food is a challenge, too, limited to items like strained carrots and pabulum – and even then you have to really force it through the fine mesh. A rolling pin might work.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! Reminds me of a story I read in 9th grade (They Loved to Laugh) in which our heroine caught meASLES ON A SHIPBOARD cruise (what other kind is there?) and had to wear heavy veiling to participate in dinner with the captain, etc. Her veiling caused misadventures which made me laugh so much I snorted and got sent out of the freshman library. You'd think they'd be glad I was reading. Nevertheless, veiling/mosquito netting can get you into trouble.

    ReplyDelete