Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 74. Whidbey.

One of the challenges of RV travel is finding campgrounds where and when you want them. The challenge is greater in the summer, of course, especially on weekends – also near large metro areas and big-draw areas like the OR coast. Many popular public parks that take reservations are fully booked many weeks ahead.
.
On our first leg, AZ to MN, we reserved nearly all campsites in advance. From MN to AK, we winged it all the way and found only one campground fully booked. We winged it again on the AK/WA drive, leg 3, with no problem. Now, on leg 4 (WA/AZ), we’re having some difficulty finding available sites.
.
We spent 2 hours in the library yesterday, researching and booking sites in WA/OR for the next few weeks – mostly successful, still have a few dates to fill. We are now both confident that we didn’t miss our calling to become travel agents.
.
It’s been chilly here at night, 52 at 5:30 AM today. It seldom gets real warm in Pacific NW coastal areas, stays maybe 15 degrees cooler than inland areas, and thus a popular escape from inland hot spells. Our blood is still AZ thin, so it feels chillier to us.
Today’s agenda is drop Ranger at groomer, play a round of par-3 golf, and tour the southern part of the island. Trish lived on Whidbey for awhile and knows the area well; I’ve only been here a time or two, about 100 years ago.
.
The smart phone hasn’t made me any smarter after all. In fact I feel downright stupid. I’ve gotta spend a block of time online researching how to do various functions. Yeah, I can make and receive calls and email but the rest of it is a puzzle inside a conumdrum wrapped in an enigma - or whatever my good bud Winston said.

2 comments:

  1. We stayed at a beautiful site on the McKenzie River in OR--I think it was a Forest Service camp (no showers) but it was gorgeous. However, you are probably not going to be inland if you will be with us at the coast. Yippee, yippee, we have reservations for Labor Day!

    I haven't been on my computer for a month so am reading in reverse your travels now. I can't believe you're already in the lower 48. I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about it in person.

    I just wrote a blog today so soon you will read about my adventures in camping. I think I'll go make a 'Smore now.
    See you soon!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Holly.

    Yup, the McKenzie is a neat area. The hot springs and hotel futher up is great, too - pools and a campground there also.

    ReplyDelete