Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mt Whitney III


Day 3

We hit the trail at 3 AM, still black as the ace of spades.  I had a headlamp and led the way, taking it slow so nobody would stumble in the dark.  There was some moonlight after we left treeline so we picked up the pace a bit.  Patty stayed with us until full daylight, then dropped out and returned to camp.



L to R: Mary Kay, Patty, me, Pat; Steve took the picture.
About 10,000' altitude

We continued up the trail, taking short breaks every couple of hours, started really feeling the altitude above 12K, had mild headaches so kept it slow, took more breaks, drank more water.



Summit!
L to R: Mary Kay, Steve, me, Pat

We hit the summit around noon, took pix, ate our granola bars.  I found a flat spot, stretched out on the dirt and took a 20 minute nap.


The 'facility' at the summit was recently hit by lightning, was just a mess of sticks.
I thought it an excellent opportunity for me to parody The Thinker.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment