Saturday, November 9, 2013

Moo?

I never saw a purple cow.
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one.
(Gelett Burgess, 1895)

A couple years ago I did a small acrylic painting of the purple cow.  I hung it on the wall and invited viewers to guess what it referenced.  Darn few viewers nailed it immediately, and only a few got it after a couple hints.  The poem is not as well known as I thought.

Everyone in my family liked Purple Cow.  It's the first poem I remember hearing as a child.  Somebody, one of my older brothers I suspect, modified it, and the new version got more play time around our house than the original.
I never saw a purple cow.
I never hope to see one.
But I'd rather see a purple cow
Than get hit over the head with a dull axe.
 
I thought Ogden Nash wrote Purple Cow, and told viewers of my painting as much.  Wrong!  He did do a parody, however:
I've never seen an abominable snowman,
I'm hoping not to see one,
I'm also hoping, if I do,
That it will be a wee one. 


Purple Cow

The painting has a couple things I like: the colors on the cow, the bumblebee on its nose and the cross-eyed/dismayed expression on its face as it observes the bee.  And lots of things I don't like: the tail appears to be frozen stiff, the body's too long - a bovine version of a stretch limo, the background isn't 'back' (got carried away with using a credit card as a painting tool), and the teats are misaligned.

It didn't take long.  A few days after I hung it, I found myself thinking, I gotta do another one.  A better one.  At first I was gonna do another purple cow, but no: been there, done that.  Such as it was.



Moo?
Acrylic on Canvas
11" x 14"

This time, I used an actual picture of a cow for guidance, rather than just slapping on paint and trying to make it cow-shaped.  Quite realistic, don't you think?  Especially the colors.

3 comments:

  1. We love both your cows, especially, Virginia, since she's a "Cowgirl" growing up on a small dairy farm in Northern Minnesota, not unlike you! We would like to buy "Moo"! Asking price???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! High praise indeed that you actually want to buy my painting. 3 years ago, I was thinking: paint a bunch of pix, put 'em shows, sell 'em. Now I feel differently, especially about my latest pieces. They're like old friends whose company I treasure and would miss terribly if they weren't around any more. So, Moo? is not currently for sale, but maybe will be some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Grandpa Moses, time to start making prints of those "originals". Open your own studio like DeGrazia! "Moo?" could make you a wealthy man!!! ��
    Al

    ReplyDelete