Thursday, November 28, 2013

Bird's the Word!

Today's the day.  Bird's the word.

'Bird's the word' is a line from the song 'Surfin' Bird'.  On Thanksgiving, the day on which millions of birds are consumed, that song always comes to mind.  Released by The Trashmen in 1963, Surfin' Bird is a top contender for the Dumbest Song Ever Written Award.  Despite that, I love the darn thing, makes me grin every time I hear it.

 The song was inspired by an ad jingle for Thunderbird wine, the notorious, sickeningly sweet, rotgut swill popular with winos and dirt poor college students back in the day.  'What's the word? Thunderbird!  What's the price?  Thirty twice!'  And so on.

Another contender for the Dumbest Song award is 'Wooly Bully' by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs (1965).  They also did 'Li'l Red Riding Hood'.  I love those tunes, too.

What's the appeal of these nonsensical oldies?  I guess it's simply their sheer fun-ness.  That, coupled with fond memories of my college days when the songs first hit the charts.  Or, maybe it's just a character flaw.

BTW, The Trashmen stole the song, were sued for, and found guilty of, plagiarism.

I have much to be thankful for today and I hope you do also.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment