Friday, June 21, 2013

Learning

Teachers and professors know, or should know, that people learn things in different ways, probably studied it in Education 101.  Not being in education myself, I never really thought about it, never asked myself, 'How do I learn?'  Now, I'm wishing that I had asked, or that some teacher or prof had addressed the subject, made me and other students aware that understanding how we learn is advantageous.  And, that the sooner we have that understanding the better.

Everybody knows that we learn via our senses.  Hearing, seeing, touching, smelling, tasting all play their part in the process, a process that starts when we're born and continues, ideally, until we croak.  We also know, at a subconscious level, which method of learning works best for us.  But, I'm thinking that not knowing at the conscious level is a hindrance.  It slows us down and keeps us from capitalizing on our strengths.

So, why is it that I, at the not-so-tender age of (darn near) 69, am writing about learning?  Two reasons.  First, I'm not done learning.  Not even close.  I'm still a very curious fellow, constantly seeking definitions and answers: what, why, when, where, how, how much?  Much of that is done because of this blog, to know what I'm writing about and to give readers reason to believe that maybe I'm not the village idiot after all.

Second: communication and relationship.  Recently, Trish pointed out that she is an aural learner and I'm a visual learner.  That difference sometimes causes ships-that-pass-in-the-night syndrome.  I read the instruction manual; she asks me how the thing works.  She says something to me and I hear it - but it doesn't stick.  She writes a note or puts it in an email - I got it.  Mostly.  Good commo is critical in any relationship.  As you get older and CRS* becomes more advanced, it becomes even more critical.

Trish's comment was one of those Duh! moments for me.  This is something I should have tumbled to long since.  We grow too soon old and too late smart.  Dutch proverb.

*Can't Remember Shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment