Thursday, November 8, 2012

Elections

My BS-ometer is particularly sensitive to election campaign rhetoric.  The needle wavered in the red zone (Danger!) for several months prior to election day, even banged against the right hand stop (Overload! Abort!) a few times.  It was a great relief to view the campaign in the rear view mirror and see the needle back in it's normal range.

If you're thinking I'm not very politically oriented, you'd be correct.  In spades.  Campaign ads, especially on radio, inspire an instant gag reflex and a desperate lunge for the off switch.  On the other hand, I take my rights of citizenship quite seriously, carefully study my voter's pamphlets and always vote.

Political polarization in voters has ramped up significantly in recent years.  It worries me and I have to admit that I really don't understand why it's happening.  I suspect that it's a reflection of the attitudes and actions of congress itself, which has lost focus and has its priorities totally bass ackwards: 1st - self, 2nd - party, 3rd - constituents, and finally, running a distant 4th - country.

I'm a centrist, fence sitter, independent.  I vote for people based on their track records and capabilities, parties be damned, and I really don't understand how anyone in good conscience could do otherwise.  It's ludicrous to believe that any party, be it republican, democrat, green, libertarian, tea or rastafarian, always has the one best candidate for the job, always has the best agenda.  Party animals, who are you kidding; yourselves maybe?

There are a couple political things I care strongly about:

     1.  There oughta be a law!  A law that states congress gets the same social, health and retirement benefits as everyone else, nothing more, nothing less.  As it now stands, congress members have it made for life the minute they're elected.  They're totally insulated from several issues that are huge to the citizenry.  "Sure, let's cut social security 30% so we can declare war on _______ (insert Mideastern country of choice, preferably one that produces oil)!  The cuts won't affect us anyway."   

     2.  The electoral college is absurd, has been extraneous for several decades, and should be eliminated.  How the devil can we call ourselves a democracy when it's possible for a president to be someone other than the people's choice?

 I'll close with a little prayer.  The prayer is not directed to Allah, JC or Mohammad but rather to those we've allowed to become living gods right here on earth: the members of the US Congress.

Lead us not into polarization,
And deliver us from your evil, selfish actions.
Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment