Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bagging Idaho

Our plans to spend 10 days in Idaho were dashed by wild fires.  The 2 fires in south central Idaho were generating too much smoke for us to handle.  So we bagged it, both the Owyhee scenic drive and Ketchum.  Northern CA also has wild fires so that wasn't a viable option.  Northern Nevada doesn't have much going for it unless you're big on bleak, barren and boring.

That leaves Utah and that's where we are, Willard Bay SP near Ogden.  Willard Bay is part of the Great Salt Lake; I took a couple pix but opted not to publish them cuz the lake just isn't much to look at.  Today, we'll continue south and a bit east, destination Capitol Reef NP.  It's one of the few southwest national parks I've not visited so I have great expectations.  Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is just south of Capitol Reef so we'll see some of that when we continue south.

These two federal preserves are all about mountains and rocks.  There are lots of spires, arches, wild and crazy formations of all kinds.  I doubt we'll have commo at Capitol Reef so will be suffering severe email, scrabble and blogging withdrawal symptoms by the end of our 4-5 day stay.  In fact, my left eye is already starting to twitch.



1 comment:

  1. What a shame about Idaho. My brother Steve was planning to camp there in aweek and I told him to check the fire situation based on your experience. Washington State was having fire troubles, too, up around Ellensburg. Someone told me that the skies were just brown with smoke.
    At least you have some attractive alternatives, although it might seem anticlimactic to go home early from the party. I hate that!
    We'll be looking forward to some nice rock pictures.

    ReplyDelete