Monday, January 3, 2011

Frost, Kindle, Satellite

Yup, frost in LHC, a fairly rare occurence and the first we've seen in our 3 winters here.  In fact we hit a record low for Dec 30 according to the weather websites: 28 degrees.  The all time record lows here for both Jan and Dec is 25 degrees.  Historical average hi/lo temps are 65/43 for both months.  Played golf on Sunday, Jan 2nd, 42 degrees when we teed off, wind picked up a bit later, froze our butts off, can't keep our trousers up now, have to buy suspenders.

Santa brought some really nice stuff including a satellite radio receiver for the pickup.  Radio reception in LHC is marginal and the selection of stations is nothing to write home about either.  The real advantage of sat-radio though, is when you're traveling.  Instead of having to search for local stations every hour or so, you have the same stations all the time, plenty of 'em and great reception.  Another big advantage of sat-radio is no freakin commercials.

Trish and I got Kindles from the Santee Delaneys for Christmas.  Trish has been using hers but I've not got into mine yet, have to finish off my backlog of books from the library first.  In case you're not up on Kindles, they are electronic devices for storing and reading books, can store several hundred books in the memory, downloaded via wifi signal.  It only takes a minute to download a book, then you can read it at your leisure.  Like the sat radio, it will be great to have on the road, replacing a 'banker box' of pulp fiction with a device measuring roughly 7"x4"x3/8".  Great Kindle features include the ability to select whatever font and type size you wish - a real boon to those with older eyes in less than ideal reading conditions.

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking about whether or not I want a Kindle. I didn't mention it to Santa because I'm not sure if I would miss the feel of pages turning and going to sleep with a book propped open on my lap. How do Kindles handle sliding off the afghan and hitting the floor? And how do you find the page you were on when you doze off for a moment? (I realize it sounds like I am doing more sleeping than reading, but the two are closely connected.) I do like the idea of being able to store many books at once--I have many stock-piled in my study on the floor as we speak and it would be tidier to have a little container for them instead.
    Happy reading and freezing. Remember your roots in the cold.

    ReplyDelete