Friday, December 24, 2010

White Meat & Scramble

SNOWBIRDS: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT!
.
That statement was on a sticker on the back window of a PT Cruiser in the parking lot at the grocery store. Don’t ask me what message the sticker is supposed to convey: I have no idea. I like it, though, made me laugh out loud. I’m extremely dubious about the quality of said meat, suspect it’s dry, tough and stringy, doubt that I’ll try it.
.
SCRAMBLE
.
One of the LHC golf courses has a Sunday AM scramble for couples during the winter months and we participate when we’re in town. For you non-golfers, a scramble involves 2-4 players (4 most often) with each player taking his/her next stroke from the same location - the ‘best ball’ location of the prior shot. Does the way I explained that make sense? If not, ask any golfer for clarification, google it, whatever. Oh yeah, one other thing: there’s a rule that a foursome must use a minimum of 2 drives per player, regardless of how great or how lousy those drives may be. That rule helps level the playing field considerably.
.
The Sunday scramble group has a Christmas day tradition: The Fruitcake Scramble. We’re signed up for it. The morning will be spent playing 9 holes of golf, followed by a gift swap-lunch at a local restaurant. They no longer exchange fruitcakes but they actually did back in the day. I’ll not miss the fruitcake, already have all the patio paver bricks I need. As you may have guessed, these scramblers are retired folks and mostly the other white meat - from all over the northern US and Canada. I don’t know if the lunch is a buffet or we order off the menu; in either case, white meat will probably be a popular option - bunch of doggone cannibals!
.
Merry Christmas y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment