Friday, January 28, 2011

Dinky Little

I’ve been spending a lot of time on my knees of late. No, it’s not what you think: I’m not expressing thanks for having seen the light or being saved (as far as I know, I’m still going straight to hell), I’m not praying for rain, and I’m not begging forgiveness for my numerous transgressions of a biblical nature - or even those of biblical proportions for that matter.
.
It’s the grout don’t you know. For whatever reason, be it settling, earthquake or faulty installation, a lot of the grout in the tile floor of the house has cracked and has to be replaced. So, one area at a time, I’m using a hammer and a dinky little chisel to break up the old grout so I can pry it out with my dinky little screwdriver. Then, I remove the remaining loose debris from the dinky little grout crack with the dirt-sucker, aka vacuum cleaner.
.
If you’ve done tile and grouting projects you know the rest of the routine. But not everyone has, so I’ll finish the story. To do it right it's best to use a trowel-like hand tool called a grout float to force the grout into the dinky little cracks, and a grout sponge to do the finishing touches to the grout. After you’ve thoroughly cleaned your crack(s), you mix up a dinky little batch of grout, wait ten minutes for it to slake, and fill the cracks with the grout. Then you can take a dinky little break, say 15 minutes, before using the grout sponge to gently smooth and shape the grout so it doesn’t look too amateurish. The final step, which must wait a day or two for the grout to dry and harden, is cleaning up the grout residue from the tile.
.
Actually, no; I misspoke ..... uh make that misswrote: the final step is mixing a dinky little drinky.

No comments:

Post a Comment