Saturday, October 21, 2023

Cataracts

 Over half of US citizens will get cataracts (cats), usually starting around age 40.  Initially, cats are very small and of no consequence to one's vision.  They enlarge gradually over time and may become problematic around age 70 or later.  That was the case with Trish, various friends of ours - and now me.

I've had annual eye exams for several years and was always told my cats were small.  Until this year.  Several months ago, my eye doc said I should have cat surgery on my right eye.  So, off I went to visit the local eye surgeons, who, after many checks of both eyes, said I should have both eyes done.  The right one was done last Wednesday, the left will be done in 10 days.

The operation only takes about 7 minutes.  They give you an intravenous drug to relax you, but you're otherwise wide awake during the procedure.  Trish said the drug was wonderful; I think she was given a more generous helping than I.  Next time, I'll ask them to increase the dosage because I felt something less than wonderful.

So, now my right eye has the best replacement lens available (there are different types and different prices), and the left eye still has cats.  The difference in vision is remarkable: right eye is much brighter and whiter; left eye is duller and yellowish.  Before the operation, I had no idea how much the cats negatively impacted my vision.  I'd used reading glasses for years and prescription sunglasses as well.

I think vision is the most critical of the senses.  Life without it would be tough, less valuable.  If and when, your eye doc says you need the surgery.  Do it!

To be honest, there is one drawback: when I look in the mirror, I see a lot more wrinkles in my face.  I look like an old man, for cripes sakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment