Friday, February 20, 2015

Oregon Gothic

I was chatting with a friend (Roger H) a couple days ago and American Gothic came up.  He hadn't seen Oregon Gothic, so I said I'd send the image to him.  I decided to do a blog post, instead, thinking other folks might get a kick out of it, too.

Grant Wood's American Gothic is one of the most recognized paintings in the USA.  Most adults have seen a picture of it somewhere, sometime. 



Here it is, she looking worried, he looking dead serious.
According to Wood, the woman is the man's spinster daughter.

It was Christmas 2009, and I was thinking it would be nice to include a picture with my annual holiday greetings letter.  Not a boring picture, though. Needed something different, something that would generate a smile, if not a chuckle.  American Gothic came to mind and I thought oh yeah!  

The Salvation Army store didn't have any adult-sized bib overalls, had to get child-sized and cut the legs off.  Trish scrounged and sewed her costume, looked great.


Oregon Gothic

We took several pictures using the time delay feature.  Most were awful, some okay, none perfect.  This was the best of the bunch, although Trish doesn't look at all worried
and I don't look all that serious.


And now for the out-takes!



Trish: "That fork smells like manure!"
Mike: "Stop goosing me!"



Waaaay too happy.
And the perspective isn't right.  Was the picture taken by a dwarf?



Trish looking good.
Mike looking crazed and dazed, fake grin, 


1 comment:

  1. These are great! My choice? Of course the foul smelling fork.

    ReplyDelete