Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Totally Nuts II

Several of the strange brews concocted by Mr Totally Nuts (see last post) are recurrent.

Flying
Sometimes it's high above the ground, other times it's only a few inches above a paved highway.  I'm riding on something that performs like a magic carpet.  It's not carpet, though.  It's more like a thin piece of plywood; I'm lying on it face down and it's quite comfortable.  Whether high or low, it's always fun.  When it's high, there's not much sensation of movement, but when I'm 'on the road' I'm going like a bat out of hell, power gliding into the turns, doing a slalom ski slope kind of thing - and having a really great time.  I'm going nowhere in particular, just out for a joyride.

Vietnam
I'm about 50 years old and I'm going back into the military.  I have no idea why.  The Vietnam war is still going strong and my assignment will be to lead a small bunch of elite troops far into enemy territory, hunker down in the weeds and do some serious damage.  But first, I have to go through all the training again: basic combat training, advanced infantry training, infantry officer school and, finally, jungle warfare school in Panama.  The training takes a full year.  When it's done, I will be reinstated to my real-world final rank/MOS: captain/infantry.

The fact that I have to do the training all over again concerns me nearly as much as the Nam assignment.  It's not the training itself so much as the time it takes to do it.  This is nothing like the post-Vietnam nightmares I had for several years after I returned from Nam.  It's a little stressful, yes, but it's very matter of fact: I don't like it but I gotta do it so let's get on with it.  Regardless, if this dream never returned, I wouldn't miss it.

Restroom Search
I'll bet I'm not alone on this one!  These mostly occur in the offices of the company where I last worked.  The company has moved since I was last there, and, although I did the tenant improvement layouts on lots of offices, I didn't do this one.  If I had, the friggin restrooms wouldn't be so damned hard to find.  So, I'm wandering up and down the halls, going from floor to floor, looking for a restroom cuz I've really gotta pee!  I always wake up before I find a restroom.  Good thing, too, don't you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment