Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Book Review

Sometimes I read a book that irritates me so much, I'm tempted to email the author and rip 'em a new one.  I should say start to read - why continue doing something you don't enjoy?  I've not yielded to the temptation of emailing authors, and won't.  It wouldn't accomplish anything.  A skunk is going to stink, no matter what, just can't help it.  Instead, I'll vent my irritation here

The book in question was a random quick-pick from the library's new fiction shelves.  The back cover has excerpts from reviews of a previous work by the same author, which I, in turn, excerpt here - and add my own review comments.

'The guy's a national treasure.'  Wall Street Journal
'The guy's an esoteric, lowlife asshole wallowing in a tank of schlock.'  Mike

'Easily the best crime novel I've read this year.'  Boston Globe
'Obviously the only crime novel you've read this year.'  Mike

'This is essential reading.'  Lee Child, author of Jack Reacher novels
'Come on, Lee, we both know it's essentially crap.  An excellent writer like yourself saying this guy is essential reading?  How much did they pay you?'  Mike

The author in question is George Pelecanos.  He has an impressive resume and has allegedly won several literary awards.  Either The Double, the book that inspired this rant, isn't up to par, or it's simply not to my taste - most likely the latter.  What's not to my taste?  This kind of stuff:

1.  An endless stream of detailed descriptions of neighborhoods, streets and hangouts that are totally meaningless to anyone who hasn't lived a long time in that particular city.

2.  Oh-so-hip ghetto/gangsta/druggie street-talk, using slang most folks have never heard.  And never wanted to.

3.  The overall arrogant, ain't-I-super-cool attitude that makes one wonder how many times he's broken his arms - whilst patting himself on the back.

And there you have it, my holidays book review.  Venting does one's heart good, got me from 'bah humbug' to 'ho-ho-ho.'  Merry Christmas!

Dyslexictionary additions: gabberflasted; lood gooking, farb, ponsticated, freakbast, dorncog, oxbot.






No comments:

Post a Comment