Thursday, February 14, 2013

Who's Driving?

I've driven lots of buses.  All kinds of buses, big ones, small ones, some in great shape, others so beat up that driving them was a real bitch.  Likewise, the roads varied a lot, most being okay but a few quite rocky and hazardous; a couple times there were no roads at all, not even a track.  Most of my adult life was spent in the driver's seat.  I enjoyed it and I was good at it.  It was a natural fit, square peg in square hole.  Sometimes the passengers requested that I drive; other times I was following orders from above.  No, no, not that far above.

Driving wears on you after awhile.  Nowadays, I'm content to sit back and enjoy the ride, let others do the driving.  That said, I do still enjoy donning the harness occasionally, especially if the bus is going to a fun place, like the houseboat on Lake Powell.

I need to qualify that 'sit back and enjoy the ride' up there.  I don't enjoy the ride if I think the bus is going in the wrong direction, taking a roundabout route, or moving at a rate that's either maddeningly slow or recklessly fast.  In that event, I don't sit back either.  If I can't convince the driver to change whatever needs changing, I'll take over the driving myself - or at least attempt to.  If all else fails, I exit at the first opportunity.  There's lots of good drivers out there, no need to stay with a turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment