Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mist and plant. LHC, AZ

The portable misting tower is effective, creates a comfortable mini-atmosphere in a small area like a patio table. Problem is, the water here is full of lime and/or calcium, maybe other stuff, too, and it clogs up the misting nozzles after a while. The vendor recommends using an inline sediment filter to alleviate this kind of problem: I do, it doesn’t. I tried hooking up the garden hose to soft water and that seems to work better. Another challenge is keeping the mist headed in the right direction despite frequent breezes wafting it hither and yon. The expression ‘it’s like herding cats’ has been popular in recent years but I think I’ve one-upped the users of that phrase. Ever tried herding mist?
.
There are 2 stepped terraces fronting the LHC house, plus the upper terrace/patio at house floor level, so we'll call it 3 in total. The lowest terrace has 3 irrigation bubblers so it’s a good place for plantings. The middle terrace was originally planned to be part of a pool system, a spa/hot tub I think. The uppermost terrace/patio was designed for a pool; wiring and plumbing are roughed in for both spa and pool – but it ain’t gonna happen on my watch.  Pools are a pain in the ass, wouldn’t take one if you gave it to me. There was to be a waterfall or water feature or some darn thing flowing from the house-level pool to the spa on the next terrace down. Neat concept, I admit.
.
One of my house do-list items since day one was to remove 2 butt ugly, rabbit-bitten plants on the lower terrace. I have no idea what kind of plants they were or why anyone would want them – other than the rabbits, that is. One of the plants died of natural causes this summer. Well, actually it died of thirst cuz someone who shall remain nameless shut down the irrigation to the lower terrace. We’re talking plant-slaughter here, plain and simple. This week the remaining plant joined it’s sibling in plant paradise, in this case, murder one.  And, you know what? I have no remorse whatsoever. Cold blooded bugger, aren’t I?
.
Pix are of misting tower and lower terrace before the demise – “from the womb untimely ripped” – of butt ugly plant number 2. In the next post I’ll include pictures and descriptions of the new plantings, hope you can stand the suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment