Monday, April 29, 2024

Drivers Test(s)

 Virtually every 16-year old looks forward to being able to drive.

The driving tests were given in Detroit Lakes, MN, which was 30 miles from our home.  Farm home.  Farm kids learned how to drive tractors early on, at about age 13.  So, I had 3 years of 'driving experience' but darned little time driving on roads or in towns, before taking the drivers test.  No stop signs.  No traffic lights.  No parallel parking.  I may have driven the pickup the 7 miles to town a couple times, but that was it.

I wasn't stressed when my Dad and I went to take the drivers test.  Nope, not a bit stressed: fell asleep at the wheel.  Was headed for the ditch when my Dad yelled, "What are you doing!"  In my defense, I had been up since 5 AM, milking cows (by hand), slopping the hogs, etc.  And, it was nice and warm in the truck.

I had the written part of test down pat, had studied the learning manual at length.  The driving part was another matter.  Flunked it.  Ambled slowly through an intersection with a stop light that was yellow when I started but red when I was halfway through.

Flunked my second attempt, too, some weeks later.  Don't recall what I messed up that time.  Finally passed it on the 3rd try.  Alleluia!  

No comments:

Post a Comment