Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Baa!

 My latest addition to the menagerie


We had a herd of about 200 sheep on the MN farm where I grew up.

Lambing season was in the spring, and there would always be 2-3 lambs that their mother couldn't nurse.  So we took them to the house and bottle fed them until they were big enough to wean.  I remember one in particular, we called Cuddles.

Shearing was also in the spring, when a couple of professionals would come and shear for a couple days.  My brothers and I wrestled the sheep to the shearer, then gathered up the wool and tied it into bales.  At the end of the day, we'd be awash in lanolin - and a few sheep ticks to boot.

1 comment:

  1. We had a neighbor that was single and didn't have anyone to take care of his bum lambs so my sister and I would raise them. My theory on this is they would die just to piss you off. The ones that did live landed in the feedlot with our cattle.

    ReplyDelete