Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cat's Eye

Nebulae (the plural of nebula) are huge interstellar clouds of dust or ionized gases, mostly helium and hydrogen.  Nebulae used to refer to all objects that weren't obviously planets, stars or comets.  Now, with the Hubble and advanced science the term has become more specific.  They come in 4 flavors: emission, reflection, dark and planetary.  Emission types generate their own light with high temperature gases, while reflection types are dust-based and reflect light from nearby stars.  Both are star incubators: Mr and Mrs Ion get it on and out pops a brand new star.  Oh, isn't it the cutest 'little' thing!  Bright, too!  Pass those cigars around! 

Dark nebulae, also dust-based, appear mostly in silhouette because they are parked in front of a light source.  The gaseous remains of dying stars are called planetary nebulae, although they have nothing to do with planets.  They neither make planets nor consume them; they just happen to look like planets when viewed through a wimpy telescope.

Nebulae are, in my opinion, the most colorful and photogenic items in the cosmos.  And therein lies the reason I'm writing about them here; my latest art project is a nebula.  Semi-abstract art appeals to me and I've been casting about for inspiration, something a little different but not overly weird.  Nebulae fit the bill.  Yeah, yeah, I know: a painting that obviously duplicates an actual object is not abstract.  In this case, the abstract artwork was done by Big Mama and she did one hell of a job.  Unlike Brownie in New Orleans.

 

Cat's Eye Nebula
 Acrylic on canvas; 16" x 20"

Cat's Eye, my favorite nebula, is a colorful, attractively-shaped planetary type.  I'm doing a series of 3-4 nebula paintings.  When I'm done, I'll encourage readers to select their own favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment