Monday, February 13, 2012

Sonart

What is sonart?  Google it and you'll get 213,000 hits, this post now being one of them.  So much for coming up with something new.  It's mind boggling when you think about it: 213,000 references to a word that isn't a word at all.  It appears that most of the hits refer to a bogus sound studio website that's a scam/virus; don't go there.

If you've seen a fish finder in action, you'll recognize the theme of my latest painting.  If not, you'll think the painting resulted from a bizarre nightmare involving alien spacecraft, boats, sundry wierd shapes, sharks, hallucinatory mushrooms and a leaky waterbed.  Many fishermen have these sonar devices on their boats to help them ID fish and structure (weeds, debris, Jimmy Hoffa, etc), and determine water depth and temperature.  Sonar + art = sonart.  Yeah, I know: it's gag me-esque but work with me here; cut the silly old fart a little slack, already.




Sonart

Fish finder viewing screens are mostly small, say about 3" high by 4" wide.  My painting is a stretched version, 11" high by 42" wide, thusly sized to fit a specific wall in the MBR.  Trish said she wanted to replace a framed black and white print of downtown Portland with something more colorful.  Color, it's got.  As for other redeeming qualities, well ...... you tell me.  I can handle it.

Doing this painting was helpful in overcoming my tendency to over-define and overwork.  The subject is loosey goosey, no hard edged shapes or straight lines, inspires one to let it all hang out and be creative rather than just copying an image, be it mental or real, from one source to another.  I may do more sonart pix.

No comments:

Post a Comment