Monday, August 22, 2011

HEAT!

Last night at dinner I asked Trish, 'What's the highest outdoor temperature you've ever experienced?"  She wasn't sure but guessed that current high temps (108-115) in LHC were likely the highest.  They are certainly the highest I've ever 'enjoyed'.
.
That said, I'm actually enjoying them more than I anticipated.  Well ......... okay, maybe tolerating them better than I anticipated is more accurate.  It's that dry heat thing, don't you know.  'Dry heat' is something of an ongoing joke, oft-mentioned with a dash of sarcasm.  But, I'm here to tell you, it's real.
.
As you know, heat index reports the 'feels like' temp, based on actual temps, humidity levels and, I suspect, a bit of smoke and a mirror.  LHC is very dry - often dryer than Death Valley - and the heat index is typically 5-7 points below actual temps.  More humid parts of the country boast (?) heat indexes that can be 20+ points higher than actual temps.  We hit several such places in our summer travels (OK was the worst) and you know what?  You can have 'em.  All of 'em.
.
Back to the original question, what's your personal high?  The high for this coming Thursday in LHC is supposed to be 119: that'll be a new record for us.  After considerable soul searching, deep thinking and internal debate, I've decided that I will not aspire to higher achievements in this particular field of endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment