Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The Boys in the Boat

 We watched the movie last night.  Excellent!

The coach was tough but fair, and his career was on the line, would likely have been fired if his team lost in the US.  I was reminded of my HS phy ed coach, who for whatever reason, didn't like me.

Wrestling was my only sport in HS, taught by a different coach.  Frankly, I was terrible.  I made the team but didn't win much.  I was a beanpole, 4" taller than most in my weight  class, and not heavily muscled.

I did well in phy ed, though.  Definitely well above average in everything: rope climbing, dodgeball, etc.  But one day the coach embarrassed me in front of the class.  We were doing forward flips with the help of a small ramp, coach standing beside the ramp.  When my turn came, coach stopped me and held me at the top of the ramp, and said to the rest of the class, "Here's an example of a person that isn't trying." 

His comment was unjustified and I was pissed!

When I was 45 I attended the HS class reunion, the one and only reunion I attended.  Sure enough, the phy ed coach was there.  I gave him a dirty look when I first noticed him. ignored him other than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment