Monday, April 11, 2022

"Get Um Up, Scout!"

 If the title rings a bell, you most likely watched The Lone Ranger TV series, 1949-57.  The Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, rode a paint horse named Scout.


My horse, the one that lives on my patio may be a paint, also.  In its younger days, its coat was a solid rusty red color - bay in horse terms.  As he matures, however, his coat is becoming spotted.  I named him Bucephalus, after Alexander the Great's horse, which was most likely a bay, definitely not a paint.


Now, I'm in a quandary: should I rename Bucephalus?  Call him Scout?  Spot?

Jay Silverheels (Tonto) was Seneca/Mohawk, born in Canada.  He was an athlete, played semi-pro lacrosse and was a Golden Gloves boxer.  Jay was in dozens of movies, in addition to his Tonto role on TV.  He raised racehorses, was once asked if he'd enter Scout in a race.  He laughed and replied, "Heck, I can outrun Scout."




No comments:

Post a Comment