Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Rochester, MN

Soldier's Field in Rochester, MN, is possibly the most impressive 
memorial and military tribute outside of Washington D C.


Below, holding the bad news telegram.

The families of Vietnam KIAs were notified personally by stateside military personnel.
One of my duties when I returned from Vietnam was to assist widows and parents 
with funeral arrangements, military honor guard, insurance, and other military benefits.

The day after the notification, I'd call and make an appointment to visit them in their homes to work out the details.  Later, I would attend the funeral service, supervise the honor guard, and present the survivors with the US flag that had been draped over the coffin. 
A sad, sobering task.


The outside of the round tribute wall has scenes from several wars including Vietnam.  The 2 sentences below the images eloquently explain why most combat veterans don't talk about the details of their time in hell.  I'm no exception, have never talked about it much.  I did write a book about it, though.  That was a good thing to do, helped me deal with some of the demons.



No comments:

Post a Comment