Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Nails, Corn and Rocks

A couple days ago I stopped at Lowe's, getting supplies for various honey-do projects.  My list included 4" nails.  When our RV campsite is dirt, we lay a large synthetic rug on the ground, helps keep dirt from getting tracked into the RV.  The rug is very lightweight, has loops at the corners and sides for securing it to the ground so it doesn't blow away; hence the nails.


The nails reminded me of my first introduction to same.  Back in the day, back on the farm, the chores were endless, and we kids were 'volunteered' into the work force early on.  One of my first chores was removing nails from old boards.  And, there were always piles of old, salvaged boards, where they came from I haven't a clue. The nails were bent more often than not.  So, straighten the nail, pound on the tip, use the hammer claw to remove it, straighten it some more, throw it into coffee can.  Exciting stuff!

Another salad-years task was uncovering corn.  Horse-drawn planters and cultivators weren't famous for maintaining a straight line.  Cultivators were, however, famous for burying little corn seedlings.  "Mike, I want you to uncover corn in the field I cultivated yesterday."  Gee, thanks, Dad!  Can't think of anything I'd rather do.  I get my trusty forked stick and off I go, trudging up and down the corn rows all day.  And the next day.  And the next, liberating little plants from premature burial. Talk about tedious.

Picking rocks was another ongoing chore.  Every time a field was plowed, a new crop of rocks appeared - not good for cultivators, harrows, discs, or other machinery.  Hitch up the horses - later, the tractor - to the stone boat. grab shovels, pickaxe, 6' crowbar and off you go.  We had several rock piles scattered around the farm, the largest of which was a good 300' long, 4' high and 12' wide.

Stone boat is a misnomer.  They're not shaped like boats, doubt they even float.  Don't recall ever seeing anyone water ski behind one.  They're crude, sturdy, heavy, constructed of thick oak planks.  Actually they're sleds, not boats.


I'm reminded of an old joke.  This city slicker is driving through Minnesota, stops to stretch his legs beside a field where a farmer is picking rocks.  Mr Slick decides to have a little fun with the farmer, asks him, "Where did all those rocks come from?"

"Glacier brought 'em," the farmer replied.

Slick: "Where's the glacier now?"

Farmer: "Went back for more rocks."

No comments:

Post a Comment