Saturday, November 21, 2015

Topock, AZ

Topock is a marina/restaurant located just north of where I-40 crosses the Colorado River.  Topock Gorge, a popular kayaking run, is the stretch of river that runs southward from that intersection, toward Lake Havasu City.  Yesterday, 7 of us (5 in pedal kayaks, 2 in a canoe) did the 15 mile trip: Terry & Lisa, Louise, Roger & Lynn, Trish & I.  A big thank you to Tom & Nancy for loaning us their kayaks and shuttling the vehicles back to Castle Rock, where our journey ended:

Preparing to launch shortly after dawn. 
It was a chilly 56 degrees when we started but it warmed up nicely by mid morning.


Roger in the men's room at Topock Marina.  
It's always a good idea to take care of business before starting a long kayak trip.


The Bridges of Mohave County.  
Natural gas pipeline in distance, I-40 bridge in middle, railroad bridge above.
I-40 in this area used to be Historic Route 66.

    
Smooth water makes for great reflection pix.

Twas quite the enjoyable adventure.  No one drowned, no one flipped their 'yak, no one fell flat on his/her face upon exiting the conveyance.  It was a near thing though, at least for me.  It takes a few moments to get your land legs back after several hours of pedaling,
need to e-a-s-e into it. 

1 comment:

  1. It is rare to see the water so glassy around LHC. Great pictures. I am also glad you survived your first extended kayak experience. Now that I have commented to your blog for the first time, I can see if I was successful. David R.

    ReplyDelete