Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Totally Nuts VI


Scene I
It's a large dump truck with a bright yellow cab.  I'm driving it on a narrow, gravel road which happens to be the long driveway leading away from the family farm in MN.  And get this: I'm all spiffed up, wearing a nice business suit, white shirt, tie, polished black dress shoes.  Best dressed dump truck driver ever.

My right-side tires are on the edge of the steeply-banked road, driver-side tires are nearly at the bottom of the ditch and the truck is at a crazy angle.  I fear it's about to roll over.  The steering is messed up, won't allow me to veer right, up and onto the level road.  Finally, I stop fighting it and steer the truck down the bank to the left and straddle the ditch so the truck is level.



Scene II
I arrive in a city, which is in a foreign country of the Asian persuasion.  How I managed to drive a gravel truck from MN to Asia in the blink of an eye will forever remain a mystery.  After parking the truck on a side street, I start looking for access to the main drag and the business office which is my final destination.  But, there's no passage to main street, no connecting avenues or alleys.  I open a large door that looks promising, only to discover it's a huge coal storage building.  A guy comes out of a door to my left, the back door to a long, narrow restaurant; he says I can walk through the restaurant to the street, and I do so.

Scene III
The business office houses a dozen worker bees, all scurrying around doing whatever they do.  I have no idea what kind of business is conducted there.  The boss is a bright young woman who is delighted to see me because she wants me to be the lead on a new project in some backwater country, a place they've never done business before.  I have the knowledge and experience but have no interest in the assignment.  Smiling and nodding but never saying a word, I leave the office and head back to my truck.

Scene IV
Can't find the truck.  Did somebody steal it?

Dream over, gotta get up and pee.

I know what inspired part of that dream: shortly before I 'retired' from corporate management, I was included in a proposal for an engineering project in Mogadishu, Somalia.  The project did not come to fruition and even if it had, I would not have accepted the assignment.  Somalia is one hell of a mess, a mess of corruption, violence, religious fanatics and pirates.  No way, Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment