Saturday, December 20, 2014

Wow!

A pleasant memory of growing up in rural northern Minnesota, was seeing the northern lights. They appeared rarely but when they did, we'd all rush outside to view the constantly-changing, colorful display.  We'd stand there, awestruck, and exclaim, "Wow!"

Last night  at dinner this question came up: are there southern lights, as well?  Indeed there are. They're called aurora australis; northern lights are aurora borealis.

I thought the northern lights would be excellent subject matter for a painting and started working on it last spring, thinking I'd finish it before we left LHC for the summer.  No way.  After 3 abortive attempts, I set it aside.  Six weeks ago, I started over and screwed it up a couple more times before finally creating something I liked enough to hang on the wall.




Wow!
Acrylic on Canvas 24" x 30"

Mike Delaney
December, 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment