Sunday, March 23, 2014

Nailed & Treed

Nailed
When we arrived at the El Centro RV Park, I discovered a nail in one of the RV tires.  Actually, I had noticed the tire was low before we left Mexico.  The slide room was extended out when I noticed it, extended 42" over the low tire.  I didn't want to limbo underneath the slide room and crawl around in the dirt to inspect the tire - told myself I'd check it later.  You know what happened, of course: I forgot.  If I don't write it down when I think of it, odds are it's gone.  Oh sure, it may come to mind again some day, after the need for timely action has long since passed.

Trish did her thing, got online, found a couple tire shops nearby.  She called Discount Tire, the outfit we use in LHC, was told 'come on down' and off we went.  I'm impressed with Discount Tire: they're quick, knowledgeable, courteous and have comfortable waiting areas.  The El Centro shop had the tire fixed in an hour and didn't charge us a penny.  Don't know if that's because I'm a repeat customer or just their regular thing.  Anyway, I recommend them.

Treed
Crossing the border at Mexicali, Mexico took us 1.5 hours.  There were 2 long lines of waiting vehicles about a half mile long.  Signage directed RVs to the right lane, which is next to an island strip of bushes and mature trees, with branches extending over the road.  5W trailers are 12' high and higher, and one needs to be constantly vigilant to avoid damaging the rooftop A/C, vents and antennas.  But, there's no avoiding getting whacked when you're forced into a single lane with low clearance issues.

So, we got whacked: a plumbing vent cap was completely knocked off.  Not a big deal, a cheap part that's easy to replace.  It's irritating though, that RVs owners have no choice but to be put in harm's way.  Welcome to Mexico.

I've traveled internationally a lot, and always upon returning to the USA, I've been checked out by the customs and immigration people - as is everyone.  Not this time, however.  The Mexican border people did it all, no USA officials were involved or even seen.  I have no problem with that; I just found it surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment