Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flagstaff

We launch within the hour, the start of our summer adventures.  Flagstaff was to be our fist stop, emphasis on 'was.'  Forecast is for chilly and windy both days we planned to be there so we bagged it.  We have wheels and we know how to use 'em.  But I researched Flagstaff, got all this great information on it, hate to waste it, so here it is.

Got trains?  Flagstaffians can proudly say, 'You're doggone right, we got trains!  All day and all night, we got trains: 100 to 125 trains go through here per day!'  If you live anywhere near the Flagstaff train tracks it's the equivalent of a 24/7 Magic Fingers bed.  Free!  Don't need to insert quarters!  Good vibrations!  Or not; I suspect the trains would drive me batshit crazy in short order.  Sure, one would get used to it after awhile.  Would wake up startled at 2:40 AM one day, and exclaim, 'What the hell is that noise!?' - if for some reason, the 2:39 AM Express was canceled.

Locals refer to it as Flag, something I discovered 30 years ago when I first toured the town.  No, 'toured' isn't quite correct: while visiting a friend in Sedona, I developed the mother of all toothaches and had to drive to good 'ol Flag for a good 'ol emergency root canal.  Only thing I toured was the good 'ol dentist's office.

Ever since, any mention of 'Flag' gets me twitching and I get this bad taste in my mouth.  I had hopes that a tour of Flag's finer offerings would offset that painful memory, release me from my 30-year old trauma, and repair the profound psychological damage.  Those hopes have been dashed.  I must soldier on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment