Friday, April 26, 2013

Gone, Baby, Gone!



It'll be gone soon, my Oregon home.  After a mere 4 years on the market, the sale is due to close next week.  Yes sir, my timing was spot-on perfect, nailed the absolute worst housing market of my lifetime, dead center.  I don't recall how many price reductions there were, a dozen or more.  Final price was less than half the initial listing price - and also less than half the replacement cost.



The value loss is substantial but so is the relief at seeing this property in the rear view mirror.  It was the 3rd and last custom home I designed and had built.  It was, and still is, an awesome home with a view to die for and I thoroughly enjoyed living there.  But, there comes a time when a change of venue feels right.  The good thing is, it still feels right.  Living 4 years in one place while wanting to live in a different place?  No.  Life's too short.



I readily admit that it was a show-off house, a statement that I did okay and could afford a nice custom home.  I'm over that now, been there, done that, no longer feel the need to impress people with the trappings.  I'm quite happy with my moderately-sized AZ home and even happier that I don't have to spend countless hours maintaining a huge home and yard.








Bye, bye.

1 comment:

  1. I wish we could have bought it! I was just asking Ron a few weeks ago if we could! (I am a few stages behind you on the human development scale.) It was a beautiful home and we had happy times and good company there very graciously hosted by you and Trish. The color and life that you brought to it is what made it special, and I know for a fact that you are doing it all over again in LHC with people flocking to your door. It's not about the architecture! But it's sad that you took a hit. Too common nowadays.

    ReplyDelete