Thursday, September 27, 2012

Errata

Errata is defined as corrigenda.  This is one of those times when you go to double check the meaning of a word only to find that the definition is more obscure than the word itself.  I've seen the term 'errata' several times in books and other written materials but have never seen 'corrigenda' until just now.  Here's an understandable definition of the 2 words: a list of errors in a specific piece of written material.  Both words are plural, the singular forms being erratum and corrigendum. 

Hmm, erratum and corrigendum - kind of catchy, good name for a pair of folks who play classical music duets.  "And now, it gives me great pleasure to present, for their first appearance in Carnegie Hall, the great classical artists, Eric Erratum and Constance Corrigendum!"  The house lights are dimmed, the curtain opens, the stage footlights and overhead floods come up very slowly, finally and fully illuminating the world famous duo.

Okay, I'm back.  Got carried away there.  There was an error in one of my posts, the one titled Grand Staircase.  In that post I said that there was no visitor center, which is incorrect: in fact, there are 4 visitor centers.  We had yet to come across one of the centers when I did the post, since there isn't one on the northern edge of the monument.

In another post, Bryce, I said that I didn't know how Paria View got its name.  I was curious, so did a little research, found that paria is a Paiute word meaning either 'water with elk' or 'water with mud'.  The next time I visit my favorite Paiute restaurant, I'll not be ordering the Paria Daily Special.  Too iffy.  I really like elk; mud pies not so much.

Now everything is clear, right?  It makes perfect sense.  I mean really, no one could possibly come up with a more appropriate name than watery elk/mud for a scenic overlook at Bryce NP.  Oh yeah.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment