Thursday, March 8, 2012

Primitive

Trish says I'm primitive.  Not me actually - my paintings.  When I hear the word primitive, I envision cave dwellers, knuckle draggers and the local boys in the movie, Deliverance.  I had only a vague idea of what the term meant in reference to art, wasn't sure I liked being classified as such.

So I googled it.  The first website I checked was Yahoo Answers.  The favorite answer was 'paintings by people who aren't white.'  Huh!  I'm not as white as I was before moving to AZ, but ethnicity-wise I still qualify.  No doubt the black brothers would include me in the 'whitey' group. 

One wonders about the average intellect of folks who contribute to Yahoo Answers.  The answer itself is asinine.  Those who made it the favorite answer - thousands of people, I suppose - raise the asininity bar (see below) to a previously unimagined level.  Talk about primitive.  And here's some more primitive, Wikipedia's definition of yahoo: a noun, meaning a brute, a crude person, often lacking in intelligence, and uninterested in culture, a yokel, hillbilly.  That caps it.  Asinine yokels.  Yahoo, go suck an egg. 

The Wikipedia definition for primitive art is that 'created by untrained artists.'  That's me alright, no training whatsoever.  Further research revealed two alternative words for describing primitive art - folk and naive (as in childlike).  Folk I can handle but naive falls short of floating my boat.  Ah, what the hell - a rose by any other name.  Grandma Moses was a primitive, and was wildly popular.  I could certainly be in worse company.

PS: The Asininity Bar - great name for a saloon, one that attracts gangbangers and militant Muslims.

No comments:

Post a Comment